A Day In the Life of a Working Mumfeatured

This morning as I hauled myself out of my warm cosy pit I thought about the day stretched out in front of me, and I breathed a sigh.

Life is running by so fast at the moment. Our days and weeks are a carefully pieced together working mechanism. We have so much happening that sometimes I wonder how long we can sustain the pace. I was fast running out of steam in the lead up to Christmas and limped into the holidays with tonsillitis. The break was much needed!

So I thought I’d write down a typical Thursday which is usually our busiest day.

6am – BBRRRIIIINNGGGG!!! I have precisely 19 minutes from my alarm going off to get out the house! I shower on a Wednesday evening so that’s ticked off my list. A quick face wash and spray in the right places gets me feeling ever so slightly more awake. I pick up my pile of neatly folded work clothes and go downstairs to get dressed. Under the cover of winter this is easy however when the mornings start getting lighter I’ll have to rethink my strategy. I don’t want to go scaring the milkman! I then run the straighteners through my hair. Now that I have REALLY short hair I can’t just scrape it back into a ponytail, I have to DO something with the birds nest! Once I’m looking presentable I down some water, brush my teeth and then haul ass out of the house whist pulling my shoes and coat on.

6:20am – I take the bus to the train station and aim for a specific train. Without fail I always have to leg it from the bus to get the train. I’m beginning to recognise fellow sprinters from my bus! It’s a 50/50 chance that I make the train, this week I have missed it twice. It’s a sweaty 15 minutes into Victoria and I often don’t get a seat. I used to spend the time with my crochet however now that I’m working on a different project it’s a bit too big to bring on my commute. Now I tend to flick through the pages of the Metro or check out some blog linkys on my phone. I arrive into Victoria just before 7am and navigate the tube, arriving at the office at 7:10am. Believe it or not, I am not the first person in the office!

7:15am – check emails and clear off any work that I can do very easily. I then go to the ladies and quickly put a bit of make-up on. Don’t want to go scaring my colleagues! Then back to my desk where I eat a small bowl of cereal and a banana while working.

7:45am – Joe calls me to let me know how the drop-off has been with the kids. He has his own mission in the morning; getting the children up, nappy changed and into the car. He drives 25 minutes to my parents’ house where he leaves them and then walks 15 minutes to the train station. Usually there’s something that’s happened like Ezra filled his nappy as Joe was putting him in the car, or Violet has been too busy running in the front garden to get in the car. Today’s drama was that I had left with the car key in my pocket. Cue a frantic hunt for the spare all the while Violet is hollering for her vitamin sweet! In the mayhem of leaving the house Violet ended up in the car with no shoes on. Ah well it’s raining today, they probably wouldn’t have got to the playground anyway! Is it just me, or does it feel like your head is just full to bursting with so many things to remember that sometimes the fundamentals just seem to go out of the window!?


11:15am – is it lunch time yet?

11:45am – is now an acceptable time to get lunch?

Midday – Lunch time! By this point I’m hungry and feeling tired. I need a good lunch to see me through to dinner. I’m on a bit of a healthy eating kick at the moment so try to avoid all the snacks and chocolates!


15:45 – I’m out the door faster than you can say “see ya tomorrow”. I now have a sprint on. Thankfully I wear trainers on my commute. But if you see the girl legging it through Covent Garden around this time…well it’s me. I have a train to catch and the rest of our militarily planned evening hinges on me making this train! I’m noticing that as my fitness improves, the more spare time I have.

16:35 – If I made the train then now I’m getting off and walking to my parents’ house. This is the house I grew up in and I know the route like the back of my hand. I make it to their house and find my 2 happy kids waiting for me. They will have had a fun day with their grandparents; playing, going to the park and sometimes to the library. I have a 15 minute breather where I get loads of cuddles and hear what they have been doing. We then load ourselves into the car and drive home.

17:10 – hello traffic. I try to chat with Violet about what she’s been up to and our plan for the evening. I find that she is less likely to lose her rag if she knows what’s going to be happening, well doesn’t everyone?

17:30 – we are home! Pile out of the car. Usually Ezra is starting to get quite agitated. He is tired and he just wants cuddles. He is very attached to me at the moment and even finds not being in the same room as me quite alarming. I try my best to divide myself in 3 but my focus once we are through the door is to get dinner on. I’m getting better with my organisation and usually have something home cooked defrosted in the fridge.

17:50 – Normally Joe gets home by now and the kids are eating their dinner. Hopefully all is calm!

After dinner we try to get a little bit of play time in. Even 5 minutes to just sit and mess around. Violet usually has a dolly she needs to get to bed or a treasure map she needs to draw, and Ezra is either playing peekaboo in his tent or clambering over me!

18:10 – Kids are in the bath

18:30 – kids are clean, in their pj’s and we start the bedtime routine.

19:00 – we flop on the sofa and breathe a sigh of relief!

What a day. If every day was like this I’m not sure we would be able to keep it up! But needs must, we need the pennies.

Do you work? How do you juggle your days?


Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

My Kid Doesn't Poop Rainbows



Add comment

CommentLuv badge